I don’t have a PR agency or a PR Manager in my business; does that mean PR is not happening?
PR is happening in and around your business whether you’re wrangling it strategically and thoughtfully or not. This is an important concept to get around which will optimise your DIY PR efforts and until you’re ready to bring in the PR big guns to do it all for you.
These are the ways in which you’re ‘accidentally’ doing PR things to build your business and brand.
- You have an incredible product or service that people re-purchase because it was a good experience.
- You have beautiful design surrounding your business helping to shape perception and positioning.
- You have a website where people can get to know, like and trust your business.
- You regularly share your opinion or invite your community to share theirs on LinkedIn or other social media platforms.
- You have compelling copywriting and a consistent tone-of-voice showing up on assets within and around your business.
- You have thoughtfully considered company culture and make special effort to create a workplace that is fun, compassionate and kind.
- You have legitimate fans, who naturally tell their friends about you. These are ‘organic influencers’, who love and appreciate your brand like a friend so they drive word-of-mouth publicity on your behalf.
- You create an experience or content that is easily sharable on your behalf. This drives organic social proof through publicity that is not of the media coverage kind.
PR is the sum of all impressions. PR is reputation. PR is content. PR is story. PR is not what you say about your brand, it’s what others say about your brand on your behalf.
PR is anything and everything that influences perception. By its very nature (perception and reputation) PR is happening with or without you.
PR guides the organisations values, behaviours, positioning and identity and becomes the filter of all communications-led decisions made for a business. When you start to take on the mindset that all of the behaviours in your business combine to create a reputation (= PR); you can start to elevate your approach to DIY PR in a way that is sustainable, thoughtful, conscious and empowering.
Words by Jade Roberts
raraPR Founder and Creative Director
raraPR is above all the sum of people who together help build brands and share stories. We are present in our determination to make a positive difference to the world by representing individuals and businesses that are doing good. We are an extension of the personal stories within us, those that we exist for and those within you that need to be heard.
Brand Strategy + Social Media + Content Marketing +
PRBYYOU is a collection of interactive strategy templates and workshop facilitators that you can plug in, play with and PR your business better.
These products are perfect for small business owners, freelancers, creative agencies or coaches who want to access the wonderful world of PR done well, but have felt that it was out of reach.
They’ve also been designed to mentor PR students and pros looking for PR education and real life agency support and guidance to help you manage clients and PR campaigns better.
Our collection of PR, social media and brand strategy resources make it easy for you to add some PR power to all that you’re creating so that you can reach the people who need what you’ve got most.