With Australian Fashion Week behind us for yet another year, what have we learnt from MBFWA Resort ’18?
- QUALITY LABELS LAST THE DISTANCE Australia’s veteran designers are well deserving of their hero status in the industry. Shows by Akira and Romance Was Born proved why they are among the best talents our country has to offer.
- DION LEE STILL ROCKS It’s been eight years since he blew the fashion pack away with his debut runway in a dingy underground car park in Kings Cross, but Dion Lee has not lost his lustre. Au contraire, the designer finally brings his artful tailoring to stylish guys with his debut menswear collection (it’s just a capsule range, but we hold our hope that it’s the start of something more).
- THERE’S ALWAYS ONE HOT NEW THING The buzz about town seems to be over newcomer Yousef Akbar. The debut collection from the recent graduate was a highlight of the week, causing excitement in much the way a fresh-from-college Lee did all those years ago. Sequins with leather, what’s not to love?
- PEOPLE LOVE A PRETTY FACE Everyone is apparently obsessed with male model of the moment Jordan Barrett (he’s rumoured to have pulled a $100K pay day to walk for men’s brand Justin Cassin).
- SASS & BIDE IS HOW OLD? The brand returned to fashion week after a 14-year absence. 14 years. Wasn’t it just yesterday that every woman was coveting Sass & Bide denim and Black Rats leggings? Actually, it was way back in 1999, for those playing at home. Things are a little different for the label today, now under Myer ownership (founders Sarah-Jane Clarke and Heidi Middleton opted out of the brand back in 2014).
Photo: Yousef Akbar/Instagram